You are here:
Home /
Dobrich (Bulgaria) /

Print this page

Dobrich (Bulgaria)


Locked between the lower Danube and the Black Sea, Dobrudzha is the land where the proto-Bulgarians first came and established the Bulgarian State.

Dobrich lies in the middle of Dobrudzha. It has existed since the early Middle Ages, and archaeological finds dating back to antiquity have also been discovered in the city.

Dobrich was established in the 16th century and was at first called Hadzhioglu Pazardzhik. Legend has it that Dobrich was established by the rich merchant Hadzhioglu. Situated on an important strategic road connecting the centre of the Ottoman Empire with the lands on the other side of the Danube, Dobrich soon grew into a busy agricultural, commercial and craft centre. In the 19th century, the city became famous for the international fair, which attracted merchants from all parts of the Empire.

In 1882, at the citizens' request, the city was renamed to Dobrich, after the Bulgarian ruler Dobrotitsa, who ruled the Dobrudzha region in the 14th century.

In modern history, the city remains an administrative, economic and cultural centre in Dobrudzha. In the late 19th and the mid-20th centuries, large agricultural farms emerged. It is curious to note that some of these farms used to breed camels, which were not only used for work, but were also an amazing attraction.

Under Romanian rule in the first half of the 20th century, Dobrich served as one of the centres for the national liberation movement of the people of Dobrudzha. In 1940 it was returned to Bulgaria, along with all southern Dobrudzha. On 25th September the Bulgarian Army reached the city and this has been the day of Dobrich ever since.

Today Dobrich is a district capital, covering 8 municipalities - a modern, calm and green city famous for the fertile soil and energetic young people.